22.1.12

Victoria

We arrived in Victoria to a snowstorm, which is always amusing on the Island. From Portland to the Coho Ferry the storm challenged my driving skills, but driving in Montreal trained me for the conditions, and gave me many skills in dealing with the circumstances. I feel surviving a storm in Montreal should be mandatory to get your drivers license, but then I wouldn't get such entertainment from this city, which closes down after an inch of snow.

1. Drive slow. Then when you skid you are still in control

2. Park at an angle in case snowfall buries you, you can rock your way out of it

3. The rocking technique allows you to dig your way out using your car's natural abilities and weight

4. Staggering in a checkerboard pattern on the roads guards you from other idiots who don't know these things

5. Pump your brakes slowly to slow gradually to a stop. This also allows you to understand the limitations of the slipperiness you're dealing with before you slide into the intersection

This city itself paralyses me. My dog as well stiffens up, but for different reasons. We'd both rather be in the sun and heat, but work required we return prematurely.

I'm trying to craft a new relationship with this place. It was surprising to get such a warm and roaring welcome from so many dear friends.

Brick by brick I am rebuilding a creative space, a creative team, and a healthy lifestyle. My office here is finally furnished, and loose ends are finally being cleaned up.

While the next few weeks will be full of travel, I also get to return to some of the film community events that started me on my professional path. When I first arrived in Victoria, it was the Film Festival that brought me into my own community of filmmakers, which drove me to achieve measurable feats.

We are not the product of our pasts, we are the potential of our futures. We are our dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment