7.1.12

San Diego


It's funny that when I start to think about San Diego all of my descriptions seem to fail me.


All I've ever really seen of this city on the two other occasions I've found myself here is the area known as Point Loma because it is near the airport, the cruise ship terminal, and the marinas. Shelter Island is well populated by residential vehicles who relocate to the streets after 10:30pm.

These happy people enjoy beaches and utilities that make for a nice day of BBQ and banter. I learn that they manage internet and showers by acquiring the secret codes from friends in the know. Judy tells me I can get info about sailing if I talk to Mary-Jo at West Marine. Then they tell me of an RV mecca nearby to where I just was in Arizona. Quartzsite a city of RVs on public land "drycamping" for free. This is the second time I've heard this place described as the motor-hobo paradise that brings child-like joy to their faces.

There was only one place I could have dinner. The Pearl is a pearl. Funky collector retro touches create an ambience to match the menu. Creative cocktails, locally sourced, fresh food, craft brews line the taps. They also run an online radio station that is always awesome no matter when you tune in. The staff here always impress me with how good they are at their job and how extra personable they manage to be- obviously truly enjoying themselves. When you ask anyone in San Diego where a traveller should go to explore after dark, everyone replies, "OB."

Ocean Beach. Just over the hill. It's a small strip that hasn't been overrun despite it's supreme oceanfront location. Just a few blocks radius, it's dozen or so bars are buzzing with surfer types and other local lefties. The parking lots here are free and only closed between 2am and 4am. The beach has a public washroom and a very cold shower. I am not the only one with the idea of how comfortable it can be to live out of a vehicle. In fact, this place has everything we need, but we don't have the vermin effect that could easily happen under these circumstance.

Sable isn't allowed in parks or on beaches before 4pm, but the enforcement that told me this was able to point me at the dog beach. You can probably imagine how wonderful a place that is. It instantly becomes part of our daily routine and the smile that paints my face the entire time I'm there and for hours following feels amazing and beautiful. The secret to happiness can be found on a dog beach.


It takes us days to explore this small place. I learn so much about the culture here, how things work, why it is the way it is. Everyone I talk to smiles in a very sweet way as I extoll the virtues. "Yes you belong here. Of course you'll be back. Of course you want to live here. Of course you don't want to leave."


No comments:

Post a Comment