18.11.11

This Is East Van

My lone window is a lens that I realize is two directional.

Endless photographic opportunities present themselves to me and yet all the photos look the same. The light changes, and the movement changes, but the geometry is everywhere. Trains, trucks, cranes and noise.

Movement. It has to be captured on video to truly see the mechanics of it: the lateral patterns.

Then Robbie comes over after what feels like a lifetime apart. He's the oldest friend I have. We met in grade 2. Well, I delivered newspapers to his house before that but we only watched each other then, we never spoke.

Every train that passed my window is a story about his life as a longshoreman. It's a career path that almost killed him. He took me down to the Port side of the fence and I asked him more questions than I would include here. I'm not exactly certain why, but I put the footage together and this is the bit that it became:


I've entered it into the video component of This Is East Van along with a couple of stills.

The beautiful thing is how the comments from the posting are from my long lost friends who all know and remember Robbie. It warms me indescribably.


No comments:

Post a Comment